Jul 3, 2011

Happy Canada Day/Weekend!!!!

Well happy Canada day everyone!   Hope everyone has had a great weekend.  Those of us here in Ottawa have been blessed with outstanding weather for all the festivities.  On top of that we had the royal visit!   For Jen and I the weekend is still going on as we both have Monday off as well.

Friday we started the weekend off a day paddle from Burritts Rapids Locks down to Upper Nicholsons Locks.  I had expected the waterways to be a bit busy but there was almost no boats around at all.  It seems they were in the city to catch the royal visit.

The calm waters of Burritts Rapids as we were leaving for our paddle.
 

Finished the paddle up with a well deserved ice cream from the store beside the lock and then back to the city to Jen's place.   I dropped her off and left for my house and she packed up to head there as well for the next couple of nights.  A light supper at my place followed by a short evening rest, we packed up the camera gear and headed to the town of Russell to catch the fireworks.  Thoughts of going into Ottawa, where the press was reporting 300,000 people, was not appealing and Petrie Island near Orleans didn't sound like it would be overly quiet either.   So we took a chance and headed south.

Absolutely no regrets!  We arrived almost 2 hours early with barely a soul around.   The firemen were setting up for the show and had buckets out for donations from people who wished to watch, but no pressure to donate.   The firemen spotted my tripod and they quickly pointed out where a great spot would be to catch the show.  10pm we sang the national anthem and the fireworks show began.  It lasted a full 20-25 minutes and it was WONDERFUL!   Rumour has it that the Lions Club in Russell had spent $7500.00 on the show.  I'm glad I gave a nice donation cause I'd love to see them do it again next year.  Was only about 300-400 people and it was enjoyed by all.  I'm telling you, get yourself out to the small town fireworks show, they can be a hoot!


 




















Saturday was crazzzzzzy!   Jen and I headed into Orleans in the morning with the intention of picking up a patio set for a family party that afternoon and for the new house (that story in a sec).   What a zoo!   After hitting 5 different stores looking for a decent patio set we ended back where we started - Walmart.  They had the best deals by far.   Now do you think that set would fit in my RAV4?   Almost, but not quite!   So here I was in the parking lot, 10000 people, hotter then hades, ripping the box apart and putting it into the truck piece by piece.  Then off to Farm Boy (another zoo) and DQ for an ice cream cake.   This family party was a late birthday party for Erin who's birthday was a week prior.

So, should only take an hour or so to put the patio together....sigh.....now I know why Walmart has the cheapest prices.   Absolutely nothing lined up.  After 3.5 hours of struggling and bending everything back into shape the patio set was completed as our guests arrived.  Great timing, they showed up to see a sweating man dieing of heat and frustration hahaha.   A quick cold shower and a few beers later and the world was right  again.  For those who haven't tried the Bud Light with Lime (BLL) get out there and get some, it's damn good!

A wonderful evening with my new extended family - corn on the cob, BBQ'd port chops and shrimp, potatoes with carrots, salads, vegie trays etc etc... Lots of beer, wine and a few other liquids.   A great time was had by all.

Sunday morning Jen and Erin have now packed up and headed back to their place for the day.  They're off to the Katie Perry concert in Ottawa tonight.  One of Erin's birthday gifts.  For me, peace and quiet with the left over BLL hahaha.   Although it's hot here today so the beer is going down easy!

For those who haven't heard, I'm on the move at the end of the summer.   Jen and I have found ourselves a lovely house just south of the city and we're going to be renting starting the 1st of Sept.  A lovely sidesplit in the town of Greely.   Three bedrooms, 2 baths, rec room, natural gas, A/C, double garage, 6 appliances etc etc...  About a half acre lot as well.   I didn't take these photos so apologies for the small size.
 






I'm going to miss the farm but it was a great transition place for me.   I will always have happy memories of this place but now it's time to move on.

Tomorrow Jen and I are both off work.  My boss has decided that I work to many hours and has mandated that I take a day off every 2nd week.  Where I work it's called a compressed work week.  Just means I work an extra 50 minutes each day and I get every 2nd Monday off.  The reality is that I've been doing almost 2 extra hours per day without even trying.  The canoe is loaded up, the weather forecast is for sunshine and light winds so we're off to paddle the Rideau from Hartwells Lock to downtown Ottawa tomorrow morning.  More pictures coming later this week if all goes well.

Two weeks from now, a friend who I haven't seen in a loooooooong time (near 30 years), is coming to visit with Jen and I.   I'm looking forward to seeing Nat again and Jen is looking forward to meeting her.  Last time I was face to face with Nat we were 13 I believe at (now get this) BIBLE camp! hahaha..   She and I reconnected on Facebook about 4 years ago and have been e-mailing ever since.  She's up to the city for a conference and is going to hang around for a few extra days.

On the negative side of life.   Cathy has finally raised her head with her new lawyer and is trying to book a court date.  Seems she doesn't want to negotiate in any way so we'll see what happens.  I should be "served" with papers later this week and my lawyer and I will figure out the course of action from there.   The upside?  Soon it will be over!!!!  Can't wait.

So that was my/our weekend to date.  Hope everyone else is having a great Canada Day weekend!!!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome photos - especially the fireworks! Thanks for sharing and bringing us up to date on what's happening in your neck of the woods :)

    Sharon and Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. great pictures, the house looks beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete